Tuesday, July 19, 2011

28 months

Kate is about 28.5 months now. She is around 23 pounds and is 32 1/4 inches tall. She is wearing 18 month old clothes very comfortably. Some are getting small on her. The best things are 18-24 month baby gap clothes....but most of those are hand me downs :)  She really is not into straight 24 month clothes yet. She is still in size 4 shoes, but a growth spurt and she'll be out of those. Although, she doesn't seem to have growth spurts, she just seems to grow slowly and consistantly, which is what the dr is happy with.

She is running. Jumping. Climbing up onto the kitchen chairs and the kitchen table. She's been getting onto the living room chairs and couch for a long time. Blowing bubbles with a bubble wand. Can do stairs pretty well if holding someone's hand. Went underwater at the pool and did not sputter at all (that's my girl!) I can see a definate difference in the last month or so of her being more steady and agile. I am more apt to put her down and let her walk places, where I used to carry her all the time.

She has lots of words, as she always has. She parrots *everything.* Yesterday when we were at Sally's we (I) had stuck her feet in the pond. Sally said we needed to wash her feet of because of the "chemicals."

Kate was saying "chemicals, chemicals."  And she says it totally clearly.

She doesn't speak in sentences. Often.

She'll just randomly do it. On her terms. The other night I was giving her a bath and I had laid her back to rinse her hair (Ron normally uses a cup.) So she was determined to lay down in the tub on her back alone without my help. She kept trying and trying. Finally she did it, and she said "I did it!"

For a kid who says a word here and there, it's pretty shocking when she says a sentence!  You aren't expecting it.

Part of me feels like I need to get her speech therapy, and the other part hears her talk, and say HARD words totally fine. Like she says blends better than Regan and Jack. She has no issues with sh, th ch sounds. 

We just totally enable her. I can tell what she wants all the time without her even telling me. Yesterday she was pointing to this cooler bag we take with us that had her drink and snacks in it for the day. I told Sally I thought she was ready for lunch. So we got her in her chair and fed her. Sally asked how I knew she was hungry and I told her she was pointing at the bag. Really I should have made Kate use words. The other day at Pioneer Kate *totally* told me she wanted to go down the duck slide. But she never said a word about it. She showed me. I did talk her through it that time.

I guess I need to be working on making Kate talk rather than just doing things for her. I know having 4 older siblings and me anticipating her every whim is not working to her advantage. I know the words are there. And I know she understands me, because she can follow directions.

I guess the positive is we are obviously well bonded that I can anticipate her needs and read her. That is what attachment parenting is all about. And that was what I was all about when I started this parenting thing......oh, 14 or so years ago....I guess it's easy to get distracted from that.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

It's wonderful to read how well Kate is doing! Wouldn't it be fun to see our girls together and all the great times they would have!