Monday, April 26, 2010

The Trip (Two)

We flew to Changsha on a Sunday....I think. We stayed in a really nice hotel...the Dolton. There were these funny bellboys that always ran the elevators for us. I guess I got used to them, but they were kind of annoying. I mean, I do like to push the button myself!!! Normally at home I have to let the kids do it :)
And the elevators....in China you try to see how many people you can possibly fit in an elevator...seriously. By the end of the week we got used to it, which was kind of scary to see how quickly you just adapt to something like that!!! The other funny thing was how the people all hit the "door closed" button repeatedly, like it is going to make the elevator work faster if you hit it over and over. That always made me laugh.

On Monday we went to the Adoption Center to get our babies!!! We didn't get to go until 2:30 because Kate had to come from far away.....6.5 hours. She came with the orphanage director, head nanny, and her caregiver. I'm not sure if she was the first or the second baby to arrive. I did see her as soon as they got off the elevator. I wasn't allowed to take her until I showed somebody my passport and they said it was ok for me to hold her. I think she was crying, but not very badly. Sally was taking pictures (and crying.) I didn't cry because Sally was, I'm not sure why that made me not cry. I could have, I probably would have if Ron had been there. I know I took her over and showed her to Sally. Then I had to sign some papers, so I gave her to Sally to hold while I did that.


I don't really remember much else. I will have to ask Sally to write it down. I know she had on a bunch of layers of clothing. She had like 4 shirts on. I kept everything. I know when we got back to the hotel I stripped her down. I know I have described carrying her as starting out carrying "something" like a sack of potatoes. Then the next day she started to sit on my hip, then she started to "mold" into me, then hold on. And eventually she would reach for us. It was a neat progression.

Before we went to the adoption center, Vicky, our guide, took us to a grocery store to get some baby supplies. I got diaper wipes, baby formula, cereal, and some drinkable yogurt (for Kate.)

No comments: