Monday, March 3, 2014

Retraining

We are starting some new things here in an attempt to lighten my load a bit, to break some bad habits, and to train the boys a little. After Quinn came home everything got tossed off kilter and we haven't really gotten back on track. I have read through some blog posts and I see things were crazy.

I used to spend hours writing the kids assignments in notebooks. Sometimes I would plan a week or two in advance. I did ok with that last year....amazingly. This year that totally flew out the window.

One would think I could tell the kids to just do the next section....but no dice.

So....we have embraced unschooling....or at the very least, relaxed homeschooling. I can't truly say we are unchooling, because there is still work being done.....just slowly.  Actually, I think we've probably accomplished more this year without "schoolwork."

Today we started our ban on internet. It gets shut off from 9-1.  Then 3-7.

There actually have been no complaints. Yet. But it's the first day.

We have this list of things they have to do


Then a list of jobs to choose from. They pick one job each day (can't pick same job twice in a week)



Then check off they gave done their Daily jobs and write the number of the weekly job.


If that isn't done by everyone by 7PM then the internet does NOT get turned back on.

I guess we will see how this works.

Having 2 boys first definitely makes a difference on the housework front (in my opinion.) And I will admit I have let it slide because it was easier to just do it myself rather than listen to them fight, fight with them, or listen to the whining.

However, the sheer volume of work now just requires some help. 

And I'm SICK to death of all electronic devices. Hopefully this will squelch my urge to take a hammer to all of them!!!

*****and yes.....one job is brush teeth......don't assume that's for the little kids in this house!!!! One would be AMAZED how many times a day I say that. Craziness.

No comments: