Thursday, January 13, 2011

surgery

Our life has drastically changed in the last week. I guess saying "drastically" I make it sound so....drastic.

Kate came to us as a "special needs" baby. We waited a LONG time for her. We began the whole process in the Fall of 2006, our log in date to China was August 20, 2007. We finally switched to special needs in November of 2009. Got our referral on January 18, 2010 and I got Kate on March 29, 2010.

I'll just put pictures, cause our week has SUCKED and I just don't have words right now.

Her left thumb, from the knuckle up is her "special need."


At the hospital in her little gown.


The first cast that was supposed to last a week, but lasted less than 24 hours!



The second cast.

Why so big? She has a pin in her thumb for 8 weeks (hopefully not longer!!) and the thumb needs to be kept straight. She is terribly unhappy with the cast....so we are all unhappy! But each day is a bit better. She's adjusting, ask are the rest of us. She's had the hardest time sleeping, because she sucks her index finger on the hand that is in the cast and can't now. She has a sock on it because she pulls the wrap out of the top and bottom of the cast. We go to the dr on the 20th....unless she gets out of this cast sooner. He'll take this one off to check out the thumb. I'm hoping he replaces it with something smaller.

So....that's where we are. We didn't know she would go through all this, we were told a splint for a few days and 4 weeks recovery. This is a bit more challenging...but I'm sure will be worth it in the long run.


No comments: