Last week was spent in a {fog}
We know that at midnight Sunday/Monday everything was fine. Ron was rocking the baby in a lazy boy in the basement. At 12:30 I put her in her crib and turned on a video, because she *would not* go to sleep. Ron went on the couch, I went to bed. At 2:15 I shut off the video and rocked her in her room.
At 4:15 I woke up and thought Ron was getting ready for school (his normal time) I went out, because he was being so noisey. He was by the front door or basement steps or something and said he had to get the dog, she was stuck in her box, the back porch was full of water and the basement was full of water. I went down the basement steps and, indeed there was about 3-4 inches of water covering the entire basement, and the backporch sliding glass door was covered about 1/3 or more up. Ron ran around to the outside door and the steps leading down were full of water. He came back in and said he could not get to the dog. He was going to open the sliding glass door and I stopped him because the 3 boys were still in their beds. Now water was coming in the door (it hadn't been before, we think it was coming in 2 drains and the sub pump pit.) He went and carried each boy to the steps. All this time the dog was howling terribly in her box. Then he went outside and started shoveling in the yard to divert the water away from the back porch. That worked and he was eventually able to get the back door open. We got the dog out, who was VERY cold. In the meantime the basement FILLED with water. We think 18-24 inches, possibly more in some areas back in Ron's room. We think opening the door did something with the pressure and caused it to fill more quickly or something. By 6:00 we had a TON of water.
My dad came over before 7:00 and we had the fire department over shortly after that. They pumped out the water. They had to put a hose through the boys bedroom window. They tried pumping through the porch, but that just kept filling up, we think because of the drains in the porch. Once they put the hose in the boys room it started going right down.
Ron and his dad worked all day on Monday, getting everything out of the basement. I left with all the kids. On Tuesday, Mitchell and I continued to empty the basement. Ron's dad began to remove the trim from the walls and started cutting holes into the plaster. On Wednesday, Ron's dad continued to remove trim and cut the plaster. Elliotts came and removed all the padding from the carpet. They then cleaned the carpet. We got fans going under the carpets in all the rooms. The fans ran until today (some are still running.)
The furnace died somewhere along there. RAM came and replace a part....I think I blogged about that. Our hot water heater is still running....hopefully that will continue, it was underwater. Our chest freezer is also still running....it was floating!! We have no idea about furniture yet. We don't know what we'll do about the dressers. We haven't gotten that far. The bottom dresser drawers were SOAKED. We are pretty sure the lazy boy is done. The computers were underwater. We are pretty sure we are going to trash both computer desks. Ron hasn't had time to check his power tools yet, a number of them got wet. We had 2 desks in the kid's rooms, we aren't sure about them. We know the kids will need new box springs. We think the top mattresses will be ok.
So......that's where we are. The boys slept down in Mason and Jack's room last night on their mattresses. We are not putting anything other than the beds down there until we get the carpet back down. But we had to get them out of Regan's room. We were having way too much togetherness :)
1 comment:
I somehow missed this post! How awful! And I thought our 2-3 inches on that very night was bad. Oh, I hope insurance covered it for you??
Post a Comment