Saturday, October 13, 2012

Two Months!

Today is our two month "gotcha" anniversary! Some families don't like to call it "gotcha day." I didn't with Kate. But, I guess I've gotten over that. Trying to come up with some special name just makes me fumble around. I couldn't wait to go to China to get Quinn....and it's been 2 months since I got her in Jiangsu.....so "gotcha" seems fine to me.

It seems like we have had her FOREVER.

She has certainly settled into our family. I will admit to shedding tears about what I had done to Kate. But, that was when Kate was biting, hitting and knocking down. When we were in China I shared this very adorable picture.

 
Well THIS came RIGHT in the next click!
 
 
And THAT was how I spent, pretty much the first, at least four weeks we had Quinn (maybe longer!)
 
I am *so thankful* I can now truly go into the next room and not be terrified Quinn will be thrown to the floor, bitten, hit, or harmed in any other way.
 
I am no longer totally convinced I have ruined Kate for life.....and in doing so ruined Quinn for life (and the REST of us!!)
 
Now....the laundry still isn't done, the dishes are still stacked up, and Quinn still follows me around wanting to be carried all day long.
 
BUT...we are all feeling like a family.
 
And THAT is a very good thing to feel at 2 months since having Quinn Anne Shen Mu placed in our arms!
 
At 25 months old......
 
Quinn is 32.5 inches tall
20.4 pounds
Wears 12 or 18 month clothing (depending on style)
Size 3 shoe
Size 2 diaper
 
Hair has grown--a lot
 
Fingernails and toenails grow like crazy!
 
Vaccinations are off....her book was incorrect.
Has tested negative for lead
Tested negative for all kinds of other crazy things.
 
Is very on target for a 25 month old institutionally raised child.
 
Understands most (if not all) of what is said to her in English.
 
Speaks no English at all. Well...we do think she has said a few things, and I'm betting she CAN. She just has that kind of personality....she WON'T speak. When she does I'm sure she'll be like "please pass me the grey poupon, father."
 
LOVES to cuddle. LOVES to imitate. BELIEVES she MUST have and do EVERYTHING Kate is doing or we have *majorly* ripped her off!!!
 
Sounds just like a Cole....doesn't she??  :)
 
I *knew* she was the day I saw THIS picture
 
 
Our kid is the little head in the back left :)  Totally checking out the strange white American's invading her quite naptime! When I got that picture, I knew she'd fit right in here!!
 
I can't wait to see where we are at 6 months home (although I sure don't want to rush time....it is going quickly enough!!!
 

3 comments:

k,mejac said...

You are all so blessed to have Quinn in your life as she is blessed to have a wonderful loving family to call her own. Enjoy her each and every day. It all is a process. She has experienced something in her young life that no one should have to experience. She is taking it all in and when she decides to say something, you wont be able to stop her. That was the way is was with Wes. Now look at him. Quinn is a beautiful child that will grow and flourish under Ron and your guidance. Kate will come around. She already is! Small steps. Small steps can take you along way. I have lived with those small steps for going on 11 years now. Look how far we have come! Praise God!

Gfam said...

What a wonderful update! I am looking forward to meeting Quinn. Come to think of it, I am looking forward to meeting Kate!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on adding Quinn to your family. I can relate to your story about the ruining of Kate! We traveled to Feb in 2010 and 2012 for our daughters, Kaylee (6) had her world ROCKED and Aubree (3) had no idea what was going on! Kaylee's behavior and coping skills were atrocious for the first 3 mos, improved somewhat over the next 3 months and we are approaching 9 mos home with Aubree. We finally are seeing the girls click. We are not all the way there but we have seen improvement!!! There is hope!
PS: Kaylee will have her tonsils and adenoids out Nov 1.She is a snorer with some sleep apnea and mouth breather. Her tonsils are very large. Hoping that better sleep will lead to better coping leading to more consistent good behavior. Wishing you the best with your girls!
Colleen Reichert